Wednesday, January 04, 2006

One year ago today...

After graduating from high school I remember being very focused. I had goals I wanted to achieve like going to Capernwray Bible School for a year, getting my Elementary Education degree, serving God in my church and in short-term missions, and getting more stamps in my passport by traveling to different places in the world.

However, at times there was a tug-of-war going on in my heart and mind. There were things I wanted to accomplish as a single person. I had high standards for myself and I wasn't interested in pursuing a relationship with someone for the sake of dating. But at the same time my heart's desire was to be a wife and mother. I remember writing lots of emails to my Mom and having long car-talks with close friends! They would always remind me, "Kristin, don't ever doubt pursuing the best. Trust God and His faithfulness. Give this to Him. He knows your heart."

I met Marco at the beginning of my third year at the University of Alberta. We would see each other occasionally when I would visit my aunt and uncle in Rocky Mtn. House. We would talk over coffee, while spending time with family, or on the way to the bus station. Our conversations never felt forced or superficial. It wasn't until the summer of 2004 that we decided to pursue a relationship together. Because he lived in Lacombe and I lived in Edmonton we would spend our nights talking on the phone. Then he would come up to the city on the weekends so we could spend time together.

On January 4th, 2005, in a gazebo in Kunming, Yunnan, China, Marco asked if I would be his wife. I said, "Yes!" Some of you may be asking, "Why did he propose in China?" Well, my parents live and work in China. It was a gift from our Heavenly Father to all be together for that Christmas. It was important to me to show Marco China, a significant part of my life and where I grew up. To have Marco ask my Dad for his blessing on our relationship was also special.

I was once asked what quality attracted me the most to Marco. I would have to say that he is a lot like my Dad. I am amazed by Marco's commitment to God--to love and serve Him with his life. He is honest and trustworthy. He is a "big-picture thinker" and shares with me the thoughts/ideas that are going through his mind. He makes me laugh everyday! He is patient and gentle, yet a strong leader. I love him, respect him, and thank God for him!

2 comments:

Erika said...

Congratulations sister and brother! Woo. One year ago we were just about to start our big fat roadtrip back to Edmonton complete with snow storms, long lay overs, and sweet brother sister bonding times. I love you guys!

Anonymous said...

This is a really great story. Isn't it wonderful to see our creator so on top of everything? He knows before we do. Congrats on your new endeavor! Marriage is a special gift.